Monday, August 3, 2009

Still Reading, huh?

Thank-you for your comments and good words, I needed them! But I didn't really know you were there. I hope I didn't say too much and look too foolish? I was sort of thinking out loud.


I think I get why so many people ( millions I have heard) write blogs. It's like having someone to talk to when there is no one to talk to. (At midnight. At 5:00 AM. In the middle of the day?)

My weekend was hot, and I am not talking about the good kind of hot. (I wish!) I am talking about the 97 degree, the AC unit is broken, can't do anything 'cause of sweat dripping in my eyes, hot! I don't know how the Florida pioneers survived all summer, or why they stayed. Two days and I was thisclose to heading back north. (But then maybe that had nothing to do with the heat.) I swam in the Gulf, drank frappachinos at Starbucks, shopped reallllyy slowwww at Walgreens, had a Sunday at MacDonalds, sat outside and did stuff. It was cooler outside than inside. I kept trying to find cool stuff to do! (Aside from the swim, the pioneers were really stuck with the heat.)

Monday was 15 degrees better.......the AC repairman came. Ahhhhhh. I breathe a sigh of cool relief.

Sooooo. Since coming home I have tackled a rat (yuck!), painted and erected a business sign (Wabi Sabi), and fixed a broken AC unit. Now I will tackle the repair/replacement of the fridge, washer and dryer. I am woman. I can do this stuff. (OK, I needed a little help from professional repairmen, but then so did the man in my previous life.)

No wonder the road holds so much attraction. At home we worry about stuff. We get caught up in humdrum and chores and what needs to be done. We watch the clock. We want stuff. We get cranky. We forget that it's the journey that counts, on the road or off. We forget about adventure. We forget to look around. We know what tomorrow will bring. Where's the unexpected?

Someone commented that maybe I should buy a used RV/camper and get back out there. It's a thought. But over the long haul, sounds lonely. This trip afforded lots of visits with especially nice people, and this sort of trip was unique in that way.

But I am thinking. There's more than one way. Will travel for food?

This morning I sat on my little porch watching a parade of people go by, bikers, cars, and people walking two by two to the beach. The wanderers danger may be in sitting too long in one place. I enjoyed the comforts of a home with others in it, a new campground to explore, a new motel room with continential breakfast!

On the other hand...............home...................time to read some, write some, paint some. A solid roof. Sunshine. Aqua clear Gulf waters and soft sandy beach. WiFi everyday.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, still reading. I have been thinking about you. It seems always to be better away from home. Maybe the humdrum is what we need so the vacation is so relaxing and fun.

    ReplyDelete