Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Table for One, Please

I just read a travel magazine where there was an article entitled "How to Travel by Yourself and enjoy It." It said that before you go, try eating or seeing a show alone. Next take a weekend trip to a nearby town. Too bad I didn't read this before. No weekend solo trip for me, oh no. I started to travel by myself by packing my car and setting off for a three month road trip which is kind of like jumping into the deep end of the pool to learn how to swim. Somehow I managed to keep my head above water.

And NOW I read about online resources such as Solotraveler.com which would have allowed me to create a profile and search for like-minded travelers who might be in say, Salt Lake City when I was. Actually, I checked out this web site and found it outdated and ignored by solo travelers, or maybe there just aren't that many. Lord knows I didn't find many wandering about when and where I was stationed. In other words, I didn't notice people who were accessible or looked like they might be interested in conversations with a "strange" woman.

The article went on to warn that if someone asks too many questions or seems suspicious, be vigilant. Don't tell your life story to just anyone. You can always tell them that you are a policewoman on vacation. In my case that wouldn't work. No one in their right mind would believe I was a policewoman. And sadly anyway, no one seemed THAT interested.

I had hoped this trip would offer answers to asked as well as unasked questions. Questions for myself about how to live my life. I had hoped to come home feeling stronger, more confident, with some direction other then those found on the compass. I guess I do feel a little more confident. I mean I did travel for three months, by myself mostly, driving down all sorts of roads, smooth, bumpy, crowded and empty. I found lodging for myself. Took myself out to eat occasionally. And explored whatever spoke to my spirit. If I can do that, I can do all sorts of things.

Now that I am home all the roads have predicable destinations and known vistas. I need to find a new path. I want to be going somewhere I haven't been.

I've learned a few things along the way to where I am now. I learned that when you need help, ask for it. Most people struggle with something or other. When people know how imperfect you are, they are less afraid to let you see how imperfect they are. 99% of people I know are happy to help when they can.

Modern communication can be a blessing and a curse. Being 100% accessible is stressful and unnecessary. Television is highly over-rated. Too much news is vexing to the spirit. But when you need to reach out and touch someone, you easily can.

With certain people, it is simply best to keep your head down and avoid eye contact.

This country is not really that crowded, we all just flock together like seagulls on a beach. We compete for the same breadcrumbs.

A good question to ask yourself is "If money (or time, or a job or whatever) were no object, what would you be doing today, tomorrow, and next month." Then to whatever extent possible, do that."

Eating alone at a restaurant is not as much fun as eating with with someone. Seek company.

These things I know for sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment