Thursday, June 25, 2009

Cincy


Sittin' in a room at the Crowne Plaza in Cincy. Bloggin' and chatting with Nancy, a friend from back home in IRB. I just wanted to create the picture in your mind of me in Cincinnati, crossed legged on the bed, computer in front of me, typing away, occasionally being interrupted with conversation (both ways) on topics of just about anything.

I lost an hour getting here, to the banks of the Ohio river, but I am now back in my own time zone. Ohio is where I was born and raised, but even so, home never felt like home. My then husband and I moved south as soon as we both graduated from college. But it feels strange to be back in Ohio, spending a little time. I have never been crazy about the Midwest. Don't know why.

I would like to say that I looked forward to every mile on this trip, but I didn't looking forward to the drive through the Midwest. I just wanted to move on through. Add the oppressive heat and the long drive without a lot of interesting diversion and it this is not the good stuff of the trip.

My odometer now reads over 12,000. I think I started around 4,000.

I am finally able to appreciate down time more, time when I don’t write, or think. Less of a restless wandered, less wide-eyed. Possibly this has to do with geography.

As I left the Ozarks, the terrain became more and more familiar. The hills, the vegetation and the trees were the sort of woods I use to play in when I was little. There was an old familiar feeling that came over me. As a kid, back when it was safe to go into the woods alone, I spent many hours "playing" outside, picking wild flowers, and meeting up with my cousins from the other side of the woods to build huts. We knew where we could squeeze under the fence, where to find the big rocks and where to pick blackberries and pussy willows. You know, the good ole days.

Back then, I had no idea where life would lead me. So now I am seeing a montage of time passed, a glimpse of me as a little kid, a college student at Kent State, getting married, leaving Ohio, having kids, teaching school, other jobs, different homes, divorce and right up to here, 62 and on the road. Who knew? Heck, back then, no cells phones, no computers, no blogging!

Anyway, here I am.

Here I go!

Gonna explore Cincy.

Love ya more today than yesterday. Take care my friends. Catch ya later.

No comments:

Post a Comment