Sunday, January 23, 2011

Without a compass

I was just thinking how my life right now is not like I thought it would be, right now. It is the middle of January and I had planned on being in Washington DC for the birth and homecoming of my grandson, helping the new mother and holding the little child on my chest while he slept, like I did with my other two grandchildren. Instead, Zack was born three months ago and will remain in the hospital for another at least, and them most likely be going home with a tracheotomy so he can breath. And I am not in DC helping anybody because I am undergoing chemotherapy treatments for cancer, a scenario which never entered my mind.

I am not living in the cute little "Tidewater" cottage I had been envisioning but rather in one of my little apartments where there is barely enough room for me let alone the company I planned to have spend time with me.

I thought I might have a "boyfriend" to have dinner with now and then, but instead I have found someone to love and have dinner with every night of the week. Sometimes this realization lieaves me awed and baffled.

I was comfortable with my financial situation (finally) but now I stare at unanticipated medical expenses to gnaw at that comfort.

Life has a way of setting an unexpected course and leading us down a path that we never imagined finding ourselves on. I know that this happens all the time, but it has always been to "other" people, someone else, while "my" life moved along in a more predictable manner. Now it is my and my loved one's turn to deal with unexpected adversity and I am caught off guard and wondering what to do while passing through.

I know it is all temporary, both the good times and the bad. But still...............

No comments:

Post a Comment