Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Indian Rocks Beach, My Town


Before I leave here for somewhere else, let me tell you about Indian Rocks Beach. I love this town. It is made up of 5000 different personalities, most of who think living here is the way life should be. The community is a congregate of outstanding people. Swell neighbors. We are 29 city blocks long.

We are a beach town, casual, funky, eclectic, and relaxed.

People here are involved. They take action. They volunteer. They party. I like that. I like the Beauty and The Beach Art Show, The Biggest Beach Party Ever, the Christmas Tree Lighting and the Lighted Boat Parade, the monthly Homeowner’s Happy Hours, The Valentine’s Day Dance, The Historic Tour of Homes, Octoberfest, the dog walkers, the joggers, and the small businesses. Last month 150 of us or so gathered on the beach at sundown to watch Jaws on a big screen. Only in IRB!

We have a nature park, an art center, a historical museum, a skateboard park, boat ramp, tennis courts, basketball courts, three playgrounds, and lots of restaurants. The beach is beautiful. Our weather is moderate and if you can handle the stress of hurricanes that never hit, this is a darn good place to live.

I may sound a little like the local Chamber of Commerce, but really, no one pays me to say this.

People say hi when you pass them walking down the beach or on the sidewalk. They rally around needs. They invite strangers to be friends. They trust each other.

Of course, it is not all perfect. There are codes, permits, and fees that drive residents nuts. Parking can be a problem. There are a few cranky curmudgeons, some disgruntled and some who are disenchanted who regularly complain about one thing or another. Taxes are high and rents are low. (I’m a landlord and this is a bad thing.) In March we double our population with tourists. And although my heart is in IRB, unfortunately, so is my ex! Next door, if you can imagine! This probably explains my urgency to leave, if only temporarily.

But, I will travel knowing that this is the place that I will come back to. And I like that, too.

And perhaps I will then find my place as a single woman where I once was a wife.

1 comment:

  1. It is nice to live in a cozy town. That is how I feel about Chelsea. People still say hi when you walk by and help others if it is needed. We will see you soon.

    ReplyDelete