Monday, March 9, 2009

There's a real world out there

Have you noticed how people are spending a lot of their time in front of a screen, TVs, computers, ipods, cell phones, watching staged events while removed from the actual world and tuning out real people? Much of our leisure time is spent isolated from everyone and everything real.

And then people spend a great deal of the rest of their time completing private tasks of obligation and responsibility, be it a job, or housework, or studies, or even hobbies that are solitary such as reading or art.

Are we losing touch with real people? Does a travel documentary count as seeing other places? Is blogging and facebook a good substitute for actual human conversation?

Or can we, if we think about it, plan for it, pickup a little momentum to propel us forward into making contact in the physical world instead of the cyber world, into studying the lay of the land outside our front door, and beyond. You can't see my face right now, but I am smiling and pumping my fist as if to say, "Yes, let go for it.". Wouldn't it be better seeing me do it in person?

I hope that by taveling I can lose myself in the real world instead of in books or in front of the computer screen, and find myself experiencing real adventures and seeing actual sites and sights, and meeting real people who I can shake hands with and who can see me while I talk. Cool concept huh?

1 comment:

  1. It is so weird you wrote about that because I just had this conversation. I agree with talking in person and being with people. It seems that this is a good way to stay in touch because you can do it at anytime. I may be sleeping at times.

    ReplyDelete