Sunday, March 15, 2009

To do: Find a Balance

When I was younger I used to think that when I got older, say like, about, 62, that life would be pretty simple. No more 9 to 5, no more kids around, few needs yet to be filled, and lots of time to kick back and read, take walks, and sit around the coffee table talking to friends.

That's what I thought. Now I find out it taint that way at all.

First of all, the kids never really leave our thoughts, their lives are forever intertwined with ours, their problems and their successes. Secondly, somewhere along the line we may be responsible for our parent's lives, their problems and needs. Thirdly, we may be dealing with health issues we never thought much about before, some of those really huge. Fourth, we have to manage our money closer to manage our retirement, not to mention plan what that retirement will look like. Fifth, we need to find ways to keep up with a fast paced technological world that requires our attention, be it learning to manage three remotes to turn on the TV or banking online. Sixth, well, "you, over 62, yes you, fill in the plank, _____________________ but don't scare the youngsters." Life does not let us relax, even when we "retire."

All right, if I think about it some more. Some people do seem to go on cruises, cruise in RVs and cruise along just shopping, playing golf, and/or watching TV and eating out. They seem to have less to do. Or perhaps they simple do less. I don't know if I can make that work for me. It does look inviting from my window, though. 'Course, here I am blogging, planning a trip, running a studio, and learning how to fly (not literally) and I don't know how to stop complicating my life.

I guess I just don't sit still well. At least, not without a good book in my lap.

I have a friend who wants to retire, close down her business, move to a little house in the country far from everyone and everything, plant a garden, read, and sleep late every morning. When I picture that in my mind, it looks good for a month or so, then I see boredom setting in. That's not quite enough. The trick, I'm beginning to think, is to find that place between too much and not enough.

Seventh, I'll be workng on that.

2 comments:

  1. SUZI SAYS: Apparently, since retiring, I have mastered the dubious knack of procrastination, becuz I have finally found the time to read your blog. I feel bad about not doing this sooner. I am impressed with your mastery of the written word, and look forward to The Chronicle of Your Adventures.(I'm also impressed with the fact that you can blog at 4am; I may be awake early, too, but my brain sure ain't!) I will miss you while you're gone; you've been a good friend/sounding board/confidante over the past 30+ years. I probably don't tell you that enough. Let me know your approx ETA for Albuquerque; maybe you can touch base with Judy & Roger. Luv ya, Suzi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I love you too, Suzi

    Actually, it wasn't 4 AM. I am sure I wrote at a more civilized hour. Blogs have their own time and place.

    I will let you know about Albuquerque.

    ReplyDelete