Wednesday, March 4, 2009

An ecomonic revival plan

I heard on the news that people are currently saving more than they ever have before, which normally would be considered a good thing, but nowadays it means they are afraid to spend their money (which makes it even harder for the economy to recover.) Many have lost their jobs. I read in the newspaper about an older lady who is moving to Costa Rica to live until the economy turns around. (Jumping ship?) Stores and restaurants are closing. Homes are being foreclosed on. Apartments are standing empty. Retirees are watching their nest eggs dwindle. It's a bleak picture.

Most people I talk to are hurried, worried, and ridiculously busy, working harder and longer trying to meet unreasonable deadlines and unachievable goals. Retirees are staying put, sittling still, so to speak. Discouraged.

I feel guilty. I am not really discouraged or worried. What's wrong with me?

I am, however trying to do my part to turn things around. I have opened a new studio and gallery in a futile attempt to sell totally unnecessary and whimsical art. I've hired someone to put up a sign so folks will know I am here trying to sell them stuff. In seven weeks I will close the studio and travel for three months and spend my savings on hotel rooms and gas. For the three months it will take me to circumnavigate continental USA, I plan on being radically unproductive and slow, allowing myself to kick back and slip into a pleasurable groove with only a few achievable objectives and a flexible schedule. Trying to slow things down a bit. Set an example.

I am being radically optimistic. It seems to me that if we save a little, but still spend a little, buy stuff, you know, someone would have to make the stuff so workers would have to be hired and then they would have money to pay mortgages and buy some more stuff. And if some of us are traveling, hotels would keep maids and clerks employed. Gas stations would sell more gas and restaurants would be filled with hungry travelers. In other words, we would be on our way to a thriving economy.

So as I said, I am doing my part. I'm not making this too simple am I?

1 comment:

  1. I feel the way you do. It is not too simple but I feel people have forgotten that our economy is a mind set. If all you do is hear doom and gloom it will not get better. People get scared more. If you hear some good things maybe people will relax more and do the things you are saying. Can't wait to see you in a few more weeks.

    ReplyDelete